ROLE OF THE CASPR CONFERENCE CO-CHAIR
The conference co-chairs are to plan and oversee the annual CASPR Conference. The Conference is CASPR’s main event and an opportunity for members to gather, meet other members from across the country, engage in learning opportunities and share challenges and best practices. When possible, it is recommended that one of the co-chairs live in the area where the conference is being hosted.
- Two co-chairs as elected by the CASPR Members at the AGM or two members who volunteer to co-chair the annual CASPR conference and are approved by the CASPR Executive.
- Co-Chairs to arrange and chair the monthly Conference Planning meeting starting 9 months – 12 months prior to the annual conference
- Co-Chairs to attend the monthly Executive meeting
- Co-Chairs to determine if attendance at committee meetings is required.
Co-Chairs are responsible to organize the annual CASPR Conference including:
- Confirm dates of conference with input from CASPR Executive
- Confirm a venue – including meeting rooms, hotel & catering
- Attend the annual conference planning meeting
- Establish the conference planning sub committees and recruit volunteer members from across Canada to be members of the committees.
- Plan and Chair monthly meetings for the Conference Planning Committee, maintain meeting minutes and/or action item summaries, as appropriate; report regularly to the Executive Follow up regarding action items from meeting minutes and/or action item summaries
- Propose conference agenda & content consistent with national physician recruitment priorities, based on membership evaluations from previous conference
- Invite & liaise with conference speakers ensuring topic details, power point presentations, handouts, contract details in consultation with treasure, travel arrangements and payments of final contracts
- Collaborate with CASPR treasurer (member of Planning Committee) on conference financial management
- Liaise with CASPR Education Committee Chair (ad hoc member of Planning Committee) to avoid duplication of presentations and to jointly promote conference and educational opportunities.
- Liaise with Sponsorship Committee regarding sponsor commitments and conference-specific sponsor offerings
- Liaise with Executive Committee throughout planning cycle
- In collaboration with the Communications Committee, ensure appropriate communication with membership (ie: newsletter, emails…) and encourage attendance at the conference
- Co-Chair the conference and manage all logistics during the event
- Arrange for door prize donations from CASPR members
- Ensure conference is a revenue stream for CASPR
- 10 months prior to event
- Investigate potential venue locations and obtain a proposed cost of the venue including:
- Hotel room price
- Conference room rates
- Catering options
- Attending the annual conference planning meeting to establish the following:
- 8 months prior to event
- Secure venue – including meeting rooms, hotel and catering
- Set date for the first Conference Planning Committee – develop and distribute agenda
- At first meeting set a monthly meeting time for the next 8 months
- Present the proposed details for the venue and conference agenda as proposed/confirmed
- Begin the development of the conference agenda based on the input from the Executive and Conference Planning and begin to contact speakers
- 7-2 months prior to event
- Continue planning as noted above, holding monthly meetings and confirming details for a successful conference
- Finalize speakers and agenda
- 1 months prior to event
- Review all details of conference on a regular basis and make final arrangements as needed with conference committee chairs, speakers and venue.
- Develop a final communication to share with attendees of the conference
- Confirm nametag development & registration lists with the treasurer
- At the conference
- Be at the conference the two evenings prior to the conference
- First morning prior to conference connect with hotel staff to make sure all details are finalized (room set-up, catering, AV, other specifics)
- Make sure a registration table is ready for early registration on evening prior to conference
- Coordinate logistics including speaker schedules, introductions, audio-visual requirements (presentation organization)
- Organize/distribute speaker thank-you gifts
- Facilitate networking events
- Chair the conference
- After the conference
- Ensure speakers have all been paid and any outstanding invoices for conference expenses have been taken care of
- In conjunction with the treasurer, complete the final conference budget.
- Ensure all thank you letters have been forwarded to speakers and sponsors.
- Provide Communication Chair with an article for the CASPR newsletter
- Arrange for collation of the conference evaluations.
- 1 year
- Additional: Ideally, each chair would assist a future planning committee.
Initially approved by the CASPR Exec: March 9, 2010
Last modified/updated: October 20, 2020
Last approved by the CASPR Exec: January 21, 2021